Friday, May 10, 2019

PRACTICE the Basics - Five Minute Friday

I'm writing with the Five Minute Friday bunch today.

The prompt is PRACTICE.

I am having a hard time getting back into shape. I spent the past 11 months recovering from a migraine that almost killed me. Mentally, emotionally, spiritually, I have changed forever because of it. I am not sure the changes are good or bad. They just are. More on that another time.

PRACTICE the basics - Walking. Walking is good. It's boring. Unless I watch for beauty. But, it doesn't freak me out. Hopefully swimming will be a blessing soon too. In this place of PRACTICE I have had to give myself permission to slow down.

I learned in a Mental Health First Aid class something that brought an enormous revelation for me. If panic attacks have been a part of your life (they have) then the feeling of getting your heart rate up to get a good workout going can feel as awful as a panic attack.

I have to PRACTICE walking, building endurance and reminding myself over and over again that I am doing this by choice, I am okay, and everything is okay.

I am not a fan of this. I kind of resent it. I used to pound out a crazy hard workout and love it. Now, I have to work my way S-L-O-W-L-Y back into shape.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, I cannot imagine what it must be like to deal with a migraine like that. With your practice comes patience. Praying the Lord will strengthen you each day.
    Your neighbor at FMF

    ReplyDelete